More than a year has passed since Connecticut enacted tighter firearm restrictions following the 2012 school shooting in Newtown, Conn. But authorities there still have no immediate plans to enforce one of its key components, reports the Record-Journal:
State police are still wading through the 50,000 assault weapon and high-capacity magazine applications received last year prior to a Jan. 1 deadline. Current owners were required to register their weapons under state legislation passed in the wake of the Newtown massacre.
While gun owners who didn’t register could face a Class D felony conviction carrying a maximum of five years in prison, state police spokesman Lt. Paul Vance said there are no plans for enforcing the law right now.
“We’re still in the processing stage,” he said. “We have no plans over and above that.”
The law, which passed the Democratically controlled state Legislature last April, expanded the state’s existing ban on assault-style weapons and banned the sale of ammunition magazines with more than 10 rounds.
People who previously owned firearms or magazines that are now illegal to sell within Connecticut were required to declare those items with the state by Jan. 1, 2014.